There Must Be A Demonstrated Need In Order To Qualify For A Habitat Home. Need is determined by a family’s current living conditions. Some examples of need are outline below (this list is not all-inclusive).
Inadequate sleeping arrangements
- More than 2 persons share a room
- Different gendered children sharing a room
- Persons having to sleep on the floor
Unsanitary conditions or health risks
- Sewage problems
- Stairway in disrepair
- Allergy concerns
Temporary or transitional housing
- Family currently living with relatives
Current housing does not meet the physical need
Unable to obtain a conventional mortgage
*The Ability to Pay
Ability to pay is determined by information provided and collected during the application process.
Information on the paper application, pay stubs, benefit statements, previously filed federal tax returns, and credit reports are examples of the resources used to determine this ability.
Applicants must have:
- A steady, reliable source of income and demonstrate financial responsibility.
- The ability to pay a monthly house payment (taxes and insurance included).
- The ability to pay monthly utilities (electric/gas water/sewer).
- Exited any bankruptcy proceedings.
- A willingness to create a repayment agreement for outstanding collections.
*The Willingness to Partner
A partner family must be willing to complete “sweat-equity” hours.
“Sweat-equity” is when a partner family takes part in building their own home or other Habitat homes, working in the Alpena ReStore, helping with fund-raisers or participating in Habitat events.
- All adults aged 18 and over who will be living in the home are required to complete a minimum of 250 hours of sweat equity each.
- A portion of the sweat equity hours can be completed by family and friends.
- All of the hours must be completed before the partner family can purchase the home.
- In addition, the partner family must attend home buyer education classes.
All applicants must provide documentation of residency and eligibility to work in the US.
One of the following documents is accepted as proof of both residency and eligibility:
- US Passport
- Permanent Resident Card
- Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-551)
- Foreign Passport with temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
- Unexpired Employment Authorization
- Document with a Photo ID (Form I-766)
- Unexpired Foreign Passport with Form I-94
- Passport from Federated States of Micronesia or the Republic of the Marshall Islands with Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating non-immigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.
If one of the above cannot be provided, one document from each category below is required:
- Driver’s License
- Federal, State, or Local Government ID Card
- Voter’s Registration Card
- School ID card with a photograph
- Native American tribal document
- U.S. Military identification card/ Military
- Dependents ID card
- U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
- Canadian Driver’s License
- Social Security Card
- U.S. Birth Certificate
- Certification of Birth Abroad (Form FS-545)
- US Citizen ID Card (Form I-197)
- Resident Citizen ID Card (Form I-179)
- Unexpired Employment Authorization by Dept. of Homeland Security
- Native American tribal document
- Certification of Report of Birth (Form DS-1350)
- Native American Tribal document
- Employment Authorization document issued by the Dept. of Homeland Security
Are You Ready to Provide a Safe, Decent, Affordable Home for Your Family
- Do you live in Alcona, Alpena or Presque Isle counties?
- Do you live in substandard housing, ;currently rent your residence, or live with family or friends?
- Are you willing to perform ‘sweat equity’ and help build your home?
- Are you currently without a mortgage?
- Are you unable to obtain traditional financing, but are able to make monthly payments?
If you are interested in becoming a Partner Family with Habitat for Humanity Northeast Michigan,
go to our application page
Contact Us Today For More Information.
(989)354-5555 or email@example.com